Despite the fact that I haven’t updated the blog lately, rest assured, I have been quite busy sewing lately. Well not this week in all honesty, but I was cranking stuff out the weeks before. Some of the items I don’t have good pictures of yet because they are for the baby crib. I finally made the crib skirt (which was loosely inspired by some current Pottery Barn Kids bed skirts for kids’ beds that look like tutus!) out of a sea foam green organza. It’s kind of hard to get a good picture though. 🙁 But trust me, it’s super cute!
I also made two crib sheets for the crib. Again, no pictures yet because I just picked up the mattress tonight and I want to let it air out before putting it in the crib. But I used some of my favorite designer fabrics and anticipate our little girl loving them. I know I do! I promise to post pictures when I have the whole crib put together with everything I am making.
I was also starting to get a little nervous that my little girl would not end up with any blankets or burp cloths despite the fact that I was making them for other people. Crazy! So I started cranking them out and I’m still working on a set. These are my flannel blankets that are bound with pretty fabrics and double flannel burp cloths. I’m happy with them and am excited to finally use some of my creations myself!
And hmmm…there is another blanket as well that I must have decided I didn’t have a good enough picture of. But I made that one two sided with a minky fabric on one side and flannel on the other. It’s super soft and a little heavier than the flannel ones, so it should be good for the cooler months here.
I also needed to work on my blocks for the Bee Modern Quilting bee. The next month’s fabric had already arrived and I wanted to work on it right away so that I could get it back out of my house! I didn’t want to get behind and I knew that I had lots of sewing still to do for my own baby. Anyway, we got some super fun fabrics by anna maria horner to work with and she wanted blocks with either wonky stars, dresdan plates or hexagons. I’ve recently done both wonky stars and dresdan plates for this bee, so I decided to tackle hexagons. Whew! What a lot of work! After lots of research I decided to give the freezer paper method a try.
The hexes needed to be entirely hand sewn. I haven’t done much hand quilting, so it was interesting to do this. I did pick one of the worst times to try it because my fingers are so swollen from the pregnancy and I don’t have the dexterity that I normally have. 🙂 But I prevailed. First I had to wrap the seam allowances and baste them back.
But I couldn’t make just one block! Come on…not when there are all those lovely hexes to use. So I made a major hex block. It really stretched me, but I love how it turned out!
Future projects include the bumper and quilt for the baby’s crib, another blanket and burp cloth set, and a whole other list of things. I’m also going to work on a couple of baby quilts for friends too. I’m not sure if these will all happen before the little girl gets here. She’s due in about 6 weeks! When I look at that in sewing time it doesn’t seem long at all! I need to get cracking!