I’ve had this quilt in my head for a long time and this was my first attempt to create it. I really like it and I’m already planning my next version of it! It all started with a “simple” hexagon block that I made for Lynne months ago…
I knew almost immediately that I wanted to translate this into multiple quilts. And the first one I wanted to do was create a one-block quilt in the same design. And so I set to designing again and did some math and finally came up with this…
I was playing with the scale of the pattern and the types of fabrics to use for this design. I ended up making this with three different fabrics as opposed to the original six of the inspiration block because I was trying to create the least amount of waste with the fabric cuts.
I made the center a hexagon like the original block, but I’m interested in trying a variation with the swirls meeting together in the center. That’s on my back burner for this quilt.
I made it the size I did partially to be able to use a 56″ decorator weight fabric for the backing. I was happy to find a good match for the front with some county fair posies by Denyse Schmidt. No project goes as you would like it…especially not a trial run on a pattern…so of course, I did some miscalculating when I cut the fabric for the back. Well, really I measured once and then cut. I know better. Measure TWICE and cut once. But I was able to patch it in and the fabric was very forgiving (this is why I love patterned fabrics for the back of a quilt!).
I also did some experimenting with the quilting. I started out quilting in one direction and quickly became frustrated with the way it was looking. I’m far too lazy to rip out quilting that is already complete, so I just shifted gears and started quilting in another direction. I liked the second way MUCH better and played with the width of quilting lines until I finally settled into a pattern. I also ended up machine quilting the binding and I’m usually a die-hard hand binder. But you see, this quilt was going to someone who loves machine binding for its durability especially. So I wanted to make this quilt as useful as possible.
This quilt is perfect for a picnic or for a baby’s play mat…it’s been both cat-approved and baby-approved at my house. But it’s already with its new owner, Kaelin, who is buying her very first home with her husband tomorrow and then moving in! She needed a housewarming gift…and I’m sure that the quilt is now puppy approved by her sweet Scottie Dog.
I’m already planning a second version of this quilt and will probably use 6 fabrics again like the original block. But I’m having trouble deciding on a name for this quilt! I have the name of another quilt stuck in my head and I can’t figure out what to call this. Help a gal out! Suggestions, please!