I did it! I finished a UFO! Woohoo!
Here is my finished Granny Square quilt. I caught the granny square bug almost immediately when these first started popping up over blog land and lure proved too strong for me to resist. No. I didn’t need another project by any means. Yes. I had to push myself to finish this.
But it was worth it right?
This quilt was made entirely from stash fabrics. All scraps for the granny squares, some left over linen, and some yardage from my stash for the back. I even broke out a fabric for the fussy cut squares in the sashing. Necessity was the mother of invention here! I kept running out a fabric and then my plan would change. At one point, I made the decision to add the Japanese gauze as a border to the whole quilt. And that fabric was not particularly happy to be used. 😉
I was all worried about color bleeding on this one, but it turned out that I needed to be worried about fabric fraying. This has never happened to me before with a quilted finished piece, so I had to do some thinking about how to fix it. After considering a number of options, I decided to simply create a patch. I had to make sure that fabric would not continue to fray.
I have a micro shot of the patch here but it actually blends in pretty well when looking at the whole quilt. The nice thing about the gauze is that it is pretty forgiving ultimately. I may throw a little label over that patch just to make it feel more deliberate but we’ll see if I get the inclination between now and tomorrow night. It’s headed off to a new home and a new baby girl.
The quilt was definitely Caitlyn approved, so hopefully this soon to be baby girl will one day love the quilt too.