Ah Cinderella…It seems like your lot in life to have a torn dress. But we can’t blame the step sisters for this one. No. This was the result of years of love and was passed on to my little one.
I thought I might be able to just cut off the top brocade print but no…this rip went all the way through the lining.
So there was only one thing to do. Cut the whole top section out!
I used the trim to guide me as I had already decided it would be the perfect cover up for whatever I replaced the center with.
I cut the center carefully so that I could use the panel as a pattern for my replacement pieces.
I scored in the remnants section at the fabric store with the perfect shade of blue lining fabric and a nice flashy metallic mesh. I paid about $2 total! Woohoo! And I have plenty left over.
I layered the two fabrics and sewed them together. I found it easiest to cut the lining out from my “pattern” first.
Then I trimmed it all down to size for the perfect replacement panel.
Then the somewhat tricky part. I pinned the panel in place and sewed it from the top side so I could be sure to hide my work in the trim.
And tada! A beautiful fix up and a new to us costume! It looks like it always belonged. This is when it is handy to know how to sew.