In my ongoing goal to make clothing again, I decided to tackle the very popular Tova top by Wiksten. There is always a risk when you take on a “popular” pattern that you are just following the crowd…the blind leading the blind, so to speak. But I’ve seen enough photos of this particular top that I thought it might be worth the effort.
I made the top in a size Medium (which seems about right for me these days…sigh…feeling bigger than I was in my 20’s). A size small would definitely have been too tight in the arm holes and that is what I was most worried about with taking on a shirt. And honestly I might even have been able to flair this out a bit more for around my hips even with the medium. I found the directions a bit difficult to follow…it was tough for me to read ahead. But I know that I second attempt at this would be simple enough to do.
I love the pretty details of this top like the gathered sleeve cuff shown above. Other details are the placket and inset that give this top such a distinctive look of relaxed yet structured. I made the top with a Voile designed by Joel Dewberry. Voile can be difficult to work with but is pretty par for the course for most garment materials. It’s no quilting cotton, but I’ve worked with much tougher materials in garment sewing. And I LOVE how it feels to wear it.
I had some length to work with when hemming this, but settled on this medium length ultimately. I think the tunic length could be cuter than I thought, but I would definitely need to add more ease for my bottom half 😉 I think the pattern is fairly slim in nature over all, so I would err on a size up if debating where to start.
Oh and I am very proud to say that I did my first Blind Hem Stitch EVER! How I can sew for over 20 years and never have done that is pretty funny, but this is the first garment that I knew needed it. The voile is too light and airy to put a line of visible stitching all along the bottom hem.
I would definitely recommend practicing that blind hem stitch before trying it on your finished garment. I definitely had a bit of a learning curve with my machine and the stitch width etc. I followed THIS tutorial. (thank you pinterest!) The tutorial is great but I definitely needed to use a 1/4″ seam with my machine…no 1/8″ would work for me…It just got all jumbled in my machine plate. And you all know that is NO good.
And I think it doesn’t look too bad from the back either. You have to think about that stuff with three dimensional sewing. 😉 And if you’ll be at Sewing Summit, look for me wearing this top! I think I’m brave enough to wear it in public.